From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Friday, January 05, 2007

I Resolve To Make My Resolutions

First, I want to make sure I say thanks to you all for your kind words and encouragement, you guys are the best! This week I’ve finally gotten myself completely back on track. I had a little trouble after Christmas (a little too much chocolate and fast food then I should have had!) It’s like I had held out so long in the days leading up to Christmas, that my willpower was just shot. But getting back into things this week seems to already have taken off the holiday poundage. So I’ve been thinking long and hard about resolutions for this year. I’m definitely a resolutions type of girl; I like having a goal to work towards and the official feeling of making a commitment to change. I always have the standard “Be a better person/wife/daughter/sister” resolution at the top of my list so here are the ones that are more physical or fitness related. 1. Hit my 125 pounds goal. This is the first time that my new year’s resolution is to lose less than five pounds. Usually the number is something closer to 50 or 60 pounds. It will feel really good to see that number on the scale and give me a sense of achieving a goal that I’ve been working more than a year on. 2. Give up caffeine. I’ve wanted to do this for a while now. I seem to be really sensitive to caffeine and I drink entirely way too much of it. I’ve already tapered off drinking anything with caffeine in it after 3 in the afternoon because I notice that it gives me a lot of trouble with sleeping. I think this will be really good for me (if I can get through the withdrawals) and will help me to drink more water. 3. Be more comfortable as the person I am, balance it with the person I want to be. This is an overall goal bigger than just physical/fitness but I think a huge part of achieving it is learning to embrace and enjoy the body that God gave me and not to be so critical of it. I’m very good about looking towards the future and knowing what I want but I think that it makes me a little less able to just live in the moment and appreciate what I am or what I have right now. I think I might try to accomplish this by taking a few minutes at the end of the day to reflect and think about my life and how blessed and happy I am. I don’t ever do this enough right now. 4. Take up Pilates. I’ve wanted to do this for a long time too but just never made a decision to do it. I think it will be something new and exciting to do. Do you guys have any experience with it? Do you find it enjoyable? Can someone with two left feet have a hope of succeeding in it? 5. Ok, everyone. This is the big one and I really can’t even believe I’m typing it out for all to see. Here goes… I want to run in my city’s annual marathon. Every December they hold a marathon and half marathon and next year I’d like to be a part of it in some way. I don’t know if I could ever really work myself up to something like this. (Right now it feels as possible as if my resolution were to sprout wings and fly.) But I really want to try for this. I’ve even told a few of the people close to me that I want to do this and I’m committed to trying even if I can’t guarantee success. I guess it’s just hard to state this one out loud because it will be pretty embarrassing if I have to come back and tell everyone that I suck and that there’s no way that I made it near this goal. Oh well, I figure I’ll reach for something that seems impossible because imagine my surprise if I actually succeed! So there they are and I’m excited to start. Are you guys all gung ho to begin the new year too? I hope so! Good luck everybody and may 2007 be our best year yet!

2 Comments:

Blogger Xena said...

Woohoo, marathon girl! I've only done a mini-triathlon, but what I've seen that seems to work for folks is to just sign up, and that way you are committed.

Good luck with getting off caffeine - that's one of my biggest struggles. It helped to drink a bunch of water and even take headache relief the first few days - beyond that the withdrawal symptoms seem to subside. I tried subbing with herbal tea, but it gave me heartburn!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Future Me said...

You can do it Lynne. You have some awesome goals and I have no doubt that you will kill it this year! I was thinking about training for a half marathon, but then I thought maybe I should work on doing at least five miles before I go too crazy.

Let us know what your training program is; I can't wiat to hear about it. :)

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home