From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Sick In The Head

So there’s never a good time to get sick but some times are worse than others! I have so much to do and of course that’s when my body gets invaded by the germies! I was home from work yesterday with a pretty bad head cold. I’ve been fighting it for about a week but yesterday I knew I needed to take some time off to rest or it was going to get really ugly. So I slept, woke up and ate chocolate, slept some more, had more chocolate, snoozed in bed and then got up and had a hot bubble bath because the chocolate started calling my name again. I swear, my husband’s family probably think I’m a clean freak considering how often I end up soaking in the tub. They don’t know I’m avoiding food, they think I’m just really into hot baths! So I’m back at work this morning which even though it was hard to muster the strength to get up and go, is better for me than laying around and feeding my cold with chocolate bars. Last night when my sister in law came home she brought with her two pumpkin rolls, a loaf of banana nut bread, homemade fudge, snickerdoodles, and apricot sugar cookies. This, folks, is what I’m up against and when I say that they eat almost non-stop, I’m not exaggerating. It probably has to do with the fact that I have a cold so I feel worn down but I actually felt like crying. I started to get this woe is me attitude as I watched them all dig in and enjoy. My husband’s mother probably weighs 100 pounds soaking wet and she eats like that all the time. Sometimes you see thin people and they don’t eat that much and you think to yourself, “well that’s why they’re so thin.” But every once in awhile you meet one of those naturally thin people who eat constantly and never have to think about what they eat and that really just freaks you out. It just doesn’t seem fair, does it? It was about that time that I headed for the bathtub and my favorite Jane Austen book. I needed something to distract me because I get angry with myself for getting so worked up over food. I mean, I’m happy, healthy, and blessed with a life and family that I feel grateful for everyday and I want to shed tears over a couple of cookies? I think there are a lot of people in this world who wish their problems were as simple as mine. I have to shake myself out of that kind of thinking and remember to put things in perspective because if I don’t then I get depressed, and then I get discouraged and then I say screw it, and I end up inhaling crap ass food that in the end doesn’t make me feel any better and actually makes me feel even worse in the long run. I just keep focusing on the fact that I’m actually doing good even though things feel crazy. I have not gone over my target calories food-wise. Yes, I have been eating really crappy food but at least I can say that I enjoyed some of the holiday treats that only come around once a year and I did it without abandoning my plan. I even managed to clock in a few miles over the weekend so exercise isn’t completely non-existent. I just have to keep reminding myself that I’m on track so far, I have a plan and it’s working and most of all I need to remember that I am more than capable of doing this. Maybe that’s the problem, I still don’t trust in myself completely and I keep looking for me to blow it. I have to change that outlook and believe that I have the ability to totally do this!

7 Comments:

Blogger M@rla said...

This is a rough time for you - the holidays themselves and then your freakish unnatural in-laws. You have described my MIL perfectly - 100 pounds soaking wet and eats like a horse.

You are keeping a good grip on it, though - a nice bath, a good book, all those non-food treats. And it does put it in perspective to ask what difference a few cookies make: I am going to remind myself of that this weekend when I watch my husband devour his own weight in food.

6:50 AM  
Blogger M@rla said...

This is a rough time for you - the holidays themselves and then your freakish unnatural in-laws. You have described my MIL perfectly - 100 pounds soaking wet and eats like a horse.

You are keeping a good grip on it, though - a nice bath, a good book, all those non-food treats. And it does put it in perspective to ask what difference a few cookies make: I am going to remind myself of that this weekend when I watch my husband devour his own weight in food.

6:50 AM  
Blogger FatMom said...

Wow, Lynne...you are a totally sane, well grounded woman! Jeez, I need to take notes! Congrats on your keeping a grip on reality! Enjoy your holiday!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

You said it yourself, you have a plan and you are sticking to it. I know its hard when everyone around you seems to be able to do it without a plan, but unfortunately honey thats life.

Draw strength from the fact that although you are alone in following your plan in your house, in my house I'm doing the same thing, and all over blogland there are others of us too.

It would be great to be able to just forget about it and eat whatever we feel like, but we will all be pissed at ourselves when we step on the scales after Christmas with gains, and regrets, stomping angrily away from the scales pouting about those Christmas treats not being worth it, and asking ourselves why we did it.

Save yourself that angst, and stick to your plan, you can do it, and you will be really happy you did.

Have a fantastic Christmas and New Year Lynne, I look forward to continuing the journey with you in 2007, and thanks for your supportive comments on my blog this year.

Joc
xxx

2:14 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Well done on your resistance. It really can't be easy. Hope you're feeling better soon.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I just read your archive and love your blog! I can relate to so many things you have written, I feel like I could have written half of it myself. You are very inspiring, keep up the good work!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I'm sorry to hear you are sick...the holidays are the worst time of the year for those of us trying to diet or trying to maintain a weight they have worked so hard to get to. Keep up your strong will power, and continue to do things you enjoy like taking bubble baths! I wonder if you will get lots of bath soap this year from your in laws!

Anyways, best wishes, Merry Christmas and I hope you feel better!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home