From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Twinkie Madness!

I have a love for all things sweet but I have a particular weakness for Twinkies. Hostess, why do you bother making your fruit pies, ho hos, and cupcakes? They are nothing in comparison to the beauty that is the Twinkie! Oh Twinkie, your lovely yellow sponge cake as golden as the sun seduces me like no man has yet been able to. Your light vanilla cream filling, tasty in its own right, compliments and never deters from its cakey surrounding! My dad is the only other person in the world who holds a love for Twinkies that rivals my own. My dad and I always give each other boxes of Twinkies as birthday presents. We kind of make a joke of it like, “Ha, ha, here’s your box of Twinkies and your real present”. But we both know deep down we’re not joking around. He could give me a platinum bracelet and I’d probably look at the man and say only half jokingly, “Umm, thanks!… So where’s my Twinkies?” I have had a weird craving for a Twinkie this whole past week that just won’t go away. So, in that time-honored Greek tradition of catharsis, I thought I’d try to write a little bit about it to hopefully be able to work through this, exhaust my feelings upon it through expression and to come out renewed and relieved of tension (hence this post). In addition, as part of this catharsis I think I will also try my hand at a little poetry. Here goes: Oh Twinkie, Twinkie, my little cake For a taste of you, my life I’d stake. Yes, a bite of you would heaven make But your banishment is for my sake. Oh Twinkie, as friend, you are a fake I should instead have a diet shake. I know it’s not good but bare with me; it’s a work in progress! The only other alternative would be to actually eat a Twinkie and you don’t want me to have to do that now, do you?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heehee that's great. My family's tradition has been giving each other those chocolate oranges at Christmas for as long as I can remember... but at least that's only once a year!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

I've never been fond of sweets of any sort - I can take or leave them. If, however, you shake a platter of brie and crackers, I'll come running for miles. I'm so strange!!!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Wendell said...

Am I remembering correctly - didn't they once have 'light' twinkies? Still probably not great for you, but sweets rarely are. I forgot about twinkies, but now you got me jonesing for one! Good thing I can't get them here.

8:49 PM  
Blogger runny_yolk said...

Ode to the Twinkie - hehe... that's beautiful.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Jen,
Yes, I do think there was such a thing as twinkie lights. I believe I may have made myself familiar with an entire box of them in the past.
I tend to do that. If there's something I really, really love then I end up eating it until it's gone. Even "diet" twinkies are not so good for you after you've eaten more than four in a row! That's why it's better if I don't eat them at all. There are a few foods that this "do not eat under any circumstances" rule applies to such as Twinkies, Green Onion Sunchips, Pad Thai, (the list goes on)...


Oh and Purl Princess. Thanks! That poem was from the heart. hee!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Wendell said...

I'm with you - my 'don't even think about this food' list is long indeed.

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home