From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Friday, February 17, 2006

As Luck Would Have It

I have pretty feet. Yes, you read that right. I have pretty feet. My feet have a very feminine shape, the toes are cute and they look great in any pair of shoes from stilettos to strappy little sandals. I’ve actually had compliments on my feet and both men and women have often commented that my feet are attractive. So are you wondering what’s with the narcissism? It’s just that I realize that I can spend hours verbally picking apart my body. I could chart and diagram every one of my problem areas, I could write volumes on what’s wrong with my ass/legs/stomach/arms, I could probably even write a poem about my fat and publish it as “An Ode To My Cellulite”. Yet it is very difficult for me to ever acknowledge the parts of me that I do like. One time I had a pedicure and the lady told me my feet were very pretty and that they were lucky feet. I just snorted in laughter because there is never a part of my body that I’d consider lucky. Did she mean I have lucky feet in a rabbit’s foot sort of way? Because that whole dead animal foot hanging from a key chain thing freaks me out and strikes me as not so lucky. No, instead my use of the word luck is usually used in the following way, “It’s just my luck that my ass is the size of a _____.” (Fill in the blank with volkswagen, truck, or house depending on how hard on myself I’m being.) In short, I realize that I focus so much on the negative and feel very uncomfortable acknowledging the positive when it comes to my body. Even more, I know that I am not alone in this behavior. How did this come about? Is it due to culture? Socialization as women? Personality? Cosmo magazine? Fear of bad hair days? The moon’s gravitational pull? The war of 1812? Who really knows why we do it? I bet there are many of you out there who are familiar with this. I bet you guys have your own body parts that you “secretly” like. Do you have nice hair, a pretty smile, a cute little button nose or some other body part that you’re proud of? I bet you do! I guess my point in this post is just be nice to yourself. Be proud of the wonderful things about your body and don’t dwell on the bad.

4 Comments:

Blogger PatL said...

I like my feet too! Not that they're particularly pretty, in fact it sounds as if yours are MUCH prettier, but I love painting the toenails red in summer. In fact, I posted a picture of them here: http://upacreekwithoutapatl.blogspot.com/2005/09/happy-toes.html

:-)

7:09 PM  
Blogger PatL said...

Ok, I should have previewed that before posting. Here's a better link:
my feet

7:10 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Oooh pretty, patl! I love painting my toenails too. It makes me feel like such a girl!

10:54 PM  
Blogger tash said...

funny...I've got cute feet too, I love my feet and they make the worst shoe look wearable. Personally I blame cosmo magazine for all the negativity going around.

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home