From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Cake Fairy Did It

Today at work I took a file out of the cabinet and stood at the break room table while I looked at it. I then walked back to my desk, grabbed a paper off the printer and walked back to the break room to put the file back in our archives. Lo and behold, there sitting on the break room table, was the biggest honking piece of German Chocolate cake I have ever seen in my life. There it sat, in all its majesty and glory! Delicate little crumbs and drips of icing were scattered all over the plate and table and a plastic knife and fork rested on a napkin next to it. As I walked past it, I did such a hard double take that I almost got whiplash. That cake was not there when I was looking at the file! I know that it wasn’t! There was no way I stood at that table and did not notice a triple layer slab of German Chocolate cake one foot away from my line of vision. I looked around because there was nobody in the break room with me. All of the other staff was in the front of the building. In order for someone to even get to the break room, they would have had to pass by my desk without my noticing. They would have had to cut that ginormous piece of goodness, place it on the plate, purposefully set out a napkin, knife and fork, resist eating even just one bite, and then somehow walk back past me without my noticing. They would have had to do this without making a sound and all this would have had to take place in a matter of less than two minutes. Real, actual thought that ran through my mind: “Am I hallucinating?” Yes, for one split second, I wondered if I was delusional and seeing imaginary baked goods. I mean come on, who decides to eat half a cake? Better yet, who decides to eat half a cake and then just walks away from it? I mean, who’s that hungry yet also that forgetful? No, a hallucination seemed like a more rational explanation. I just stood there kind of puzzled. I went back and sat at my desk and nobody walked past me to claim the cake during the rest of the twenty minutes of my shift. Yes, it was a true mystery. A mystery wrapped in a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in milk chocolate, caramel, coconut, and pecans. On the drive home I started working on a theory to explain this event. Here’s what I came up with: The Cake Fairy Did It. Hey, just because I’ve never seen her doesn’t mean she doesn’t exist! I’m starting to think that maybe the cake fairy left that piece of German Chocolate cake there just for me. I bet she goes around leaving goodies to all the little fat girls who renounce sweets. I bet she sprinkles flour instead of pixie dust and I bet she smells just like chocolate. Just a theory…

3 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Do you suppose there's a latte fairy and, if so, why has s/he not visited me yet???

7:01 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I had german chocolate cake today. It wasn't very good. A little on the dry side, heavy on chocolate buttercream, way too light on the caramel pecan frosting.

I want to buy a can of the frosting to snack on. But I won't.

(I won't... I won't... I won't... I won't...)

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. I would chalk that one up as a test, and you passed it!

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home