From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Monday, January 23, 2006

How Fat Is FAT?

When I read other blogs I’m always curious as to what the person looks like. It’s as if you get to know so much about them that your brain wants some kind of mental picture to put to the person. I always admire anyone who can put their picture out there but I am chicken shit when it comes to doing this myself. I’m a very, very shy person. Like I said in my profile, I am a classic introvert. If you were to meet me in “real life” you would find that I’m very quiet, calm and don’t talk a lot. In fact, I rarely speak and instead love to listen. People often confide in me things because they know that I am very private, I never pry and I always listen without judgment. I’m always the person that other people come to when they have problems and when I have problems myself, I generally hold it inside and work it out quietly in my mind. This little blogging adventure is the most different thing that I have ever done. Some of the things that I have discussed with you all are things that I have never mentioned out loud to anybody. There are things that I intend to discuss with you that I still haven’t got the courage up to write about yet, not because they’re that serious or shocking but because it’s very out of character for me to talk about any of this stuff to anyone. Like I said, I want you guys to know what I look like but I haven’t gotten up the nerve. For one thing, no one knows that I have this blog. I have one of those site meter things and I see that there is one reader who actually lives in the same city as me. I doubt that this person knows me but the idea of somebody recognizing me absolutely strikes me with terror to no end. I figure until I get the nerve up to show you pictures of me, I should tell you a little about myself. So here goes… I am about five foot six and I don’t carry my weight well. A five pound gain on me shows like ten. My weight seems to concentrate in my ass, thighs, hips and legs. I would call this my biggest problem area. (Which makes me laugh that my “problem area” is about 60% of myself. That’s a really big area!) My stomach is not that bad, there are fat rolls on it but it actually is the thinnest part of my body. It’s also the first place I gain and lose weight, which can make finding a pair of pants that fit hell. My arms, chest and face are another place where my fat likes to collect and hang out. I have brown eyes and a lot of long, thick brown hair, which I lie to myself and believe helps to thin my face out and balance out my gigantic ass. When I started this blog, I weighed 178.9 pounds (that’s 81.32 for my metric friends) and at one time Weight Watchers told me I should aim for a goal weight of 123 (55.91). That means I need to lose about 56 pounds. I don’t have any exact measurements but currently I am wearing a size 14 US pants that are starting to finally become loose (I think I may have actually been closer to a 16 but I refused to buy new clothes) and a large (depending on style) to extra large shirt size. Maybe some of you are thinking, “Hey, that’s not that fat! Losing 56 pounds is totally doable!” So I have to tell you that it’s not about the numbers. My frame just can’t hold a lot of weight. I often look like the heaviest girl in the room, regardless of poundage, just because I have a very short, stubby appearance. I have no muscle tone, I get easily winded on stairs, and clothes shopping is a cruel form of self-torture for me. I have always been a fat girl. Even when I was young and I now realize that I wasn’t really fat, I thought of myself as a fat girl and that has always been a part of me. A few years ago I was able to lose a lot of weight and this experience only served to really complicate things for me. (I will write a separate entry about this soon) I quickly gained back all that weight and have actually been worse for the wear since this experience. I always hate when thin girls whine, “Oh, I’m so fat!” When they clearly are not. So I can understand if maybe some of you are thinking that I should quit my bitching. When I hear someone thin saying they need to lose ten pounds it feels like an insult to me. So I can understand if there is anybody out there who feels offended that I’m struggling at such a doable weight loss goal. Please understand that for me, the physical weight may be 56 pounds but the emotional weight feels like a ton. This time, I’m looking to lose it all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn said...

I dont think it matters how much you have to lose, it can still be a struggle, pain, something to complain about, whatever. I have about 26 pounds to lose, which does not sound like much to some people, but its a big thing to me and makes an enourmous difference in how I look and feel. So dont put yourself down thinking people will think badly of you just because you have less to lose than some others, cos there are some out there who have less to lose than you. Big loss, small loss as long as we all get the losses we are aiming for we are winning.

Keep on with it and good luck with getting to your goal.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I know what you mean. The mental and emotional weight is a lot heavier than the fat. And really, I think the mental and emotional weight is something that we all have in common, no matter how much physical weight is involved. Pain is something very personal, that can't be explained away by noticing that other people are hurting worse.

You're doing really well to have this as a priority already. Really, really well. Good luck, sweetheart!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, it's not just the number. I have far more to lose than you, in fact your weight seems like goal to me right about now! I have a friend who is a size 4-6 and has the most perfect figure... but she used to be 15-20 pounds heavier and the emotional pain for her is almost the same. I am amazed when we talk about weight and food issues how much she identifies with me. Pain is pain!

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're doing really great! Keep up the good work. We're here to cheer you on and keep you going. You're also inspiring me to tackle my own weight gain/loss issues. Thanks!

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Posting pictures can be really scary, I agree! Nobody i know in real life knows i have my blog either, so i can understand your trepidation. Personally i'm glad i posted pics, though, and I think you might be too... none of us are here with our weight loss/fitness blogs to criticize other people. I think we're all a pretty supportive bunch. :)

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home