From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Going Camping? Here Take My Dress

So I'm watching a show that I happened to flip to while channel surfing. It's on the Discovery Health channel and it's called "I Lost It!" This woman is talking about her struggles with weight and the narrator is saying things like, "She weighed in at a hefty 190 pounds" and "She was able to shed her tent-like size 14 dresses". Tent-like? Isn't that a little extreme to compare a size 14 dress to a fabric structure that can accomodate four or more sleeping adults? Or am I just fat and think that 14 is not that bad. Here's this website that says that the average American woman wears a size 14 or larger but the show makes it sound like she was outrageously fat, like the kind of fat where they have to lift you with a crane to transport you to a hospital fat. I don't know, I just had to write a little something about this because it kind of freaked me out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

It always annoys me, too, when they show the "miraculous" transformation from a size 10 to a size 4 - what the heck does that say about me? The top end of my healthy weight is 144, which puts me comfortably in a size 14...I guess I'm doomed to always be fat to most folks.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Thanks for commenting Denise, it helped me figure out why that show struck me so much. It's like you said, "what the heck does that say about me?". I would never see someone wearing a size 14 and think, "Why, you could use her dress for a tent!". But for one split second while watching that show I wondered if people passing me on the street think those types of thoughts. I think it's paranoia of people not seeing me and just seeing my fat.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Rest assured you're not tent-like! An American 14 is our 18. Still not tenty, but bigger than a 14. I would LOVE to get down to a 14. I have a long way to go, and I am currently wearing a tent. A 14 sounds so normal!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

......and we'll just be ignoring that comment, cause I thought you were in Australia! BUT an Aussie 18 is not that big either. I wouldn't look at a size 18Au/14US girl and think "My stars, did she buy that at a camping shop?". I'd be thinking "Put down the donut and you can be wearing that size too".

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to the above. I'm an Aussie girl, size 18 (US 14) and have had to lose 40kg - 90 pd - to get here. All of that effort so I can fit into a bit of camping apparel, hey? Insulting much?

I'm really enjoying your blog, it has joined a long list of others that are helping to motivate me. So thanks Dietgirl for the link and looking forward to seeing more of your thoughts here Lynne.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Shrinking Girl said...

That's so dumb. I would kill to get into a size 14 at this point. In fact, a 16 or 14 is my ultimate goal. Goodness, talk about reinforcing negative stereotypes!

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home