From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Table For One

So today I decided that whenever I ate meals or snacks I would take the time to sit down and concentrate on enjoying my meal. I think that this will help me to be more aware of when I am full. I had the house to myself today and so I made breakfast, shut the tv off, and sat at the dining room table. I actually set up a place setting for myself, poured myself a glass of water and sat down formal style. It seemed so strange to be aware of nothing but the smell and texture of my food. I concentrated on taking nice size bites, chewing and swallowing before moving on to the next bite, taking awareness of what was in my mouth. Sorry guys, is this sounding a little erotic? As silly as it seems, it's just that I've never taken that kind of time with a simple meal like this before. I actually felt like eating took up a long time and when I got up from the table I felt satisfied! Can I say that beautiful sentence again? I felt Satisfied! When there's nothing else to distract your attention, you find yourself focusing on just enjoying the eating. I know that I've heard/read this diet recommendation many times before but this is the first time I actually stopped to do it. It only goes to prove that sometimes we think we know all there is to know about losing weight but how many times do we stop and ask ourselves how much of that information are we putting to use? Now I can guarantee that there will be somedays where I will still be hungry, I will still want just one more bite, but if at least some of my meals can be as enjoyable as the three I had today, then I can do this.

3 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

I feel very inspired! I think I'm going to get out the good china tomorrow and eat at least breakfast with it, at the dining room table. Thanks for the gentle nudge. :-)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Reminds me of that Taco Bell commercial.. "I feel FULL!" LOL

Still laughing about breaking up with dirty rice. Great writing!

10:54 PM  
Blogger tash said...

hi Lynne, I also am one of the tribe, i.e the fatbattler tribe. I really like your blogs, you write like i think. funny how all of us think and feel the same things, funnier how reading someone elses thoughts makes you feel safer, i.e not insane. I hope you never stop blogging.

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home