From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A Taste Of “Normal”

As promised, I thought I’d tell you about the “successful” weight loss experience I had a few years ago and the unexpected effects that it had on me. (*Warning: This post is long, I'm sorry, it’s just a lot to explain.*) Although I have always been on the chubby side, I packed on considerable weight the first year of college. I never weighed myself but I estimate that I must have been flirting with the 200 pounds mark. I was miserable, none of my clothing fit and it made me feel very insecure with my appearance. I was always trying out different diets but never with more than 15 pound successes and then I would quickly gain the weight back. I began to think that no matter how much I disliked being fat maybe it was my fate to be that way. Maybe it was just a nuisance, to be tolerated and unhappy about, but a fact of life. All of my life I considered myself a fat girl and my weight bothered me badly but at that point I began to think that I could never be anything else but heavy. I felt confident in every area of my life except my appearance and I figured whatever I lacked in visual appeal, I made up in substance of person. I knew that people (and the opposite sex) thought badly about being fat but I didn’t think that it applied to me. I thought that there was more to me than the fat and that people saw past that. It’s like I knew that I was fat, I disliked being fat, but it wasn’t all that I thought about. It wasn’t what I obsessed over, cried over, and worried over; sometimes I would even “forget” that I was fat. I figured most people ignored it once they got to know me and that my weight just kind of “disappeared”. Then I went on the Atkins diet and I lost 17 pounds in two weeks right off the bat. I was shocked to say the least. At the time I was working 46 plus hours a week and going to school full time. I hardly ate at all and when I did eat, not only was it very minimal in carbs but also it was low in calories (not recommended by Atkins). I lost weight very quickly; within eight months I went from 186 pounds (size 14/16 US) to 121 pounds (size 5 US). I know that this sounds strange but I didn’t realize how small I got. It seems impossible but the best way that I can explain it is that I lost the weight but did absolutely nothing mentally to adjust to it. I isolated myself during that time, obsessing over numbers, carbs, two jobs, bills and school. I was running on five hours of sleep or less and was just mentally cut off from myself. I felt like a zombie at the time, going through the motions without any kind of thought about who I was, what my goals were, or what I wanted to do. I wore my clothes until they were too baggy to stay on and then I would buy a few clothes in a couple of sizes lower. This led to me never really knowing what my body looked like because it was constantly covered up in way too big jeans and shirts. I distinctly remember a time when my clothes got so big I knew I had to go shopping. I picked up a pair of pants in size 11, found that they were too big in the dressing room and then grabbed lower and lower sizes until I finally had something on that fit me. The fact that I started off with an 11 shows just how out of touch with my own body I was. I remember another time when shopping for jeans and I saw the size five number. I assumed that it must be that the brand had weird sizes. I never thought that it was because I was actually that small. Something that I never anticipated was the reaction from other people. People meant well, I know that they did but I didn’t know how to take a compliment because it just reminded me of what was wrong with me before and I didn’t know what to do when people said something well-intended but hurtful. I just had no idea how to handle either situation. (Trust me, I wish that this were the situation I was dealing with now! I wish that learning how to say thank you when someone says something about how thin I look was my biggest problem. Instead, my problem is saddlebag thighs!) My immediate family was very supportive and happy for me; I really felt that my weight loss was a non-issue with them. It was more the reactions of co-workers, acquaintances, and well-meaning individuals that I found to be confusing. I often felt like people said things to me that had a very “thank goodness you’re not fat anymore” relieved sound to them. I worked in a center with many young people my own age. Once I lost weight, they talked to me differently and treated me differently. A few of the guys even asked me out when they had never showed any interest in me before. Suddenly I was girlfriend material, I finally realized what it was like to turn the head of a man walking down the street. I had never known what that felt like before. I actually had a family acquaintance say to me, “Now that you’re thinner I think I can tell you this. I always thought you had a prettier face than your sister. Other people probably don’t say it but I’m sure there are others who are going to start thinking it also.” I know he intended this as a compliment but I felt offended by this. To me it seemed like an insult to my sister and a backhanded compliment to me. I had no idea that someone would even compare me to my sister. It all of a sudden occurred to me that I had been that old cliché term; I had been “the smart one”. I almost felt like people didn’t see a point in censoring themselves anymore. It was as if now that I was thin, they could talk about how heavy I was without it being painful to me. I got so many, “Oh, you look so good! You were so, you know (arms gesturing outwards)… and now you’re not! Good for you!” I even got “Wow, you were so big the last time I saw you and now you’re skinny!” I even got a few comments more honest, blunt or hurtful than this. You’d be surprised at the things people will say to you. I think what bothered me the most is the fact that I had been naïve to just how different people will treat you depending on your weight. I thought people who knew me saw past the weight only to find out that even good friends changed how they treated me. More than anything I felt embarrassed and vulnerable. It was easier to never know these things then to realize that all this time I had been blissfully unaware of what the world thought of me. I had changed my physical appearance but I had never changed how I dealt with stress, boredom, or other emotions. I ended up turning to food in these situations but was unable to go back on the diet after binges. My willpower and determination were just exhausted; I had spent so long on a crash diet way of eating that I was suffering from burnout. On top of all this, I realized that my body wasn’t going to look like the girls you see on TV or in magazines. I still had all the same problem areas; they were just smaller in circumference. I know now that my body will always carry the proof that I was overweight; there will always be cellulite and flabby body parts no matter how much diet and exercise I do. Yet at the time I had unrealistic expectations about what the end result would be and ended up unsatisfied and disappointed. I just did what I knew how to do best: I turned to food. It was familiar and comforting and it felt good to not restrict myself. It’s almost as if I got this weird idea that letting myself eat was a way to be nice to me and that sensible eating was something mean and restrictive. I knew chocolate cake and I knew mashed potatoes and I recognized that familiar, soothing feeling that comes with eating these things. My eating just got worse and worse, I gained all my weight back and I gained it back quickly. That’s how I’ve gotten to the point that I’m at now. I carry a lot of baggage from this experience. I think especially because now that I am heavy again, I wonder what people think of me. I never really used to think about this too much. My self-confidence isn’t only shaken in how I view my appearance but it has trickled into other areas of my life. I doubt myself much more than I ever did before. I sometimes feel like I don’t have anything to offer other people. I know that I was never this insecure before and if I did have doubts about myself, they were usually within reason. Now I sometimes wonder if there’s anything more to me other than fat. I swallowed the food but the fat has swallowed me. I want to find out that there’s an enjoyable, funny, loveable, deserving person with a personality underneath the Fat. That’s why this time I’m so obsessed with developing the inside as much as the outside. I want to make a permanent change and this time I want to enjoy it. Whew! Well, I know that was a lot; hope I didn’t bore you too much! If you’re still here, thanks for reading!

6 Comments:

Blogger PatL said...

Wow, Lynne, that was a really insightful post. When I write ones that long, it takes me forever; I labor over them, craft them, post them and then repost them. Yours sound so natural, like it just flowed out of you. I congratulate you on your writing and on everything else you're undertaking. Yours is one of my favorite blogs these days! I'm looking forward to following your journey.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Those sorts of reactions are exactly the sorts of things I wouldn't know how to deal with if I ever lose the weight. I don't know how to be not fat.

It doesn't help when you're used to comments of "You'd be so pretty if..." I'm annoyed by those now, and if I lost the weight, I'd probably find the "You're so pretty now that..." version insufferable. Six of one, half-dozen of the other, I guess. Seems like fat folks can't win unless they lose the weight and move someplace where nobody knows them.

9:23 PM  
Blogger tash said...

Have you been reading my diary? This blog was mindblowing, I love it when someone else articulates what I've been thinking, or experienceing. I think for me though, I'm the one saying all the "if only you were thin you'd be this or the other" comments to myself, that's the self doubt speaking, seriously...We ARE TWINS!!! Only you don't know it yet, but you will soon :)
I have to digest this blog before I can be remotely articulate, you hit some home truths that I'm not sure I even want to deal with at the moment, a bit sensitive for me. Thanks for being candid, this was really eyeopening.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Gothic Writer said...

have you tried non-dieting, Lynne??

I will never diet again...

9:06 PM  
Blogger wife2abadge said...

Hmm...I could have written a lot of your post! I don't think it odd to feel uncomfortable when people make a big deal of your weight loss. I was upset when people went on and on about it -- for pete's sake, they're making comments about my BODY! It's very invasive. Have you read "Intuitive Eating" by Evenlyn Tribole or any of Geneen Roth's books?

12:24 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Wow. Fabulous.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home