From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Still Hanging In There

I’m still trying to hang in there and do my best. Last week I had one pair of jeans that fit and I was feeling pretty depressed and kind of freaking out about what I should do next. I actually ended up doing something that I’ve only joked about doing; I called into work Fat. Ok, so I told them that I wasn’t feeling well and I needed to take a day off, which was sort of true since I was feeling so rundown after finals week, but really my biggest motivator for taking time off was the fact that I didn’t want to show up to work naked. So on Tuesday I called in fat and then I got through Wednesday and Thursday by wearing my only pair of jeans again. Screw it, I thought, everyone's in training this week (luckily) so no one is around to notice anyways. That got me safely to the weekend where I could kind of regroup my thoughts and focus on what to do about this whole situation. I’m happy to say that things are starting to look up a little. What I didn’t realize last week is that I was bloated from eating badly and PMS. Once I started exercising, eating right, and getting more sleep I managed to get myself back down to where I was pre-finals. So now I have clothes that “fit” again, although “fit” is in the eyes of the beholder, or more accurately in the comfort level of the wearer. So what to do next? I think Jen and Melissa are right; I need to go buy some stuff that I can actually wear comfortably just to get myself through this. I’m so stubborn though, I guess rebuying this stuff feels a little like admitting defeat and that’s why I’ve been so reluctant to actually do it. It’s just funny to me (funny ironic, definitely not funny ha ha), a few months ago I was somewhere around three pounds from my goal. At one point I was that close to hitting it. But it doesn’t really matter because it’s not about saying that I hit that one number that one time. No, I need to figure out how to not lose sight of the bigger picture. No matter how much I logically tell myself that this is about long term life changes, it’s about health and not appearance, I still get into this mindset that this is a problem that has an end result, a quick solution. I don’t know, I’m a pretty smart cookie but it never ceases to amaze me how I can be hit over the head with this point, think that I’ve finally got it figured out, and then be surprised when I revert back to that short-term, surface goal kind of thinking. Either way, like I said, I’m still here and I’m still trying. I think the important thing is that I’m not giving up. I still believe in myself and I still think that I’m worth it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Betsey said...

Lynne - I feel for you. Thanks for this post because I am in the same place and I guess misery loves company. I am down to just a few things I feel comfortable in and have tons of clothes just out of reach. You might need to buy a couple things, but I plan to not shop for larger clothes. I know we both can get back down. School is the toughest. When you are so consumed with school and work there is no down time or time to take care of yourself like you'd like. Just know that I am rooting for you

3:20 PM  
Blogger PatL said...

Hi, Lynne, just dropping by after a long absence to say "hi"! Sorry to hear it's become such a struggle for you. It's not surprising, though, really, because once you get smaller your body requires far fewer calories than you'd been able to eat & still lose weight at when you weighed more, so it's a constant re-adjustment downward. So those last few pounds are hard, and then there's maintenance. (I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know, just thinking out loud)

I was so busy for a while recently that I literally lost 10 pounds without trying. Wait! Don't hate me yet! I was pleased, of course, but then came the time when I wasn't so busy. I'm determined to keep those pounds off, but it's been a challenge. A couple have crept back on but I'm fighting it. I just have to keep in my mind the picture of how very few calories a middle-aged metabolism like mine needs to keep the autonomic functions going! Exercise, I tell myself! And I listen ... but I don't do. :(

So glad you're fighting this battle and learning how to change while you're young, my friend. Keep it up! Listen, if you can just hang in there during this mega-busy time till you get through school, if you can just stay within reach of your goal, even if you don't hit it, then you KNOW you can take it the rest of the way when time pressures ease up.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home