From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hungry Days

Yesterday was what I refer to as a hungry day. Have you ever had one of these? You wake up in the morning starving and for some reason no matter what you eat you still feel ravenous. The problem with me is that my ability to interpret hungry, full, bored or stressed is still blurred and so I can’t tell when my body is asking for extra fuel for energy and when it’s just reacting to the craziness of the day and in need of some calorific comfort. I have the feeling though that yesterday in particular was just stress talking; work is crazy and yesterday was the first day of school summer session. Also, my cravings mainly centered around things like french fries and ranch dressing. If it had been my body in actual need of food would it be asking for something with no nutritional value? No, I think that was just a call for comfort food. I’m happy though to say that I made it through the day yesterday. I try to eat fresh and healthy but sometimes things with a lot of fat and protein help me through days like that. I had a huge mixed greens salad with buttermilk dressing and two strips of bacon chopped up in it. It totally hit the spot for me. Best of all, I still managed to keep sight of portion size. I had two strips of bacon (instead of six like I used to gravitate towards) and two strips only cost me eighty calories. I’m glad I didn’t go food crazy yesterday because today my appetite is back to normal. I’m going to go and have a cup of grapes now. It’s not bacon but they still sound pretty good!

2 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

I often have days like this, especially during my TOM. During that week I am a fat, protein, and sodium seeking freak; they're the only things that seem to satisfy me. I just try to keep my portiona sizes reasonable, and drink a lot more water. If I really can't shake off that "need to eat" feeling, I chew gum.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Wendell said...

I had one of those yesterday! (probably b/c first day back OP with a holiday-stretched stomach!) These are really the hardest kind of day for me, as I find it really difficult to talk myself out of eating when I'm hungry - seems like a good reason to eat!

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home