From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Clothing, Clothing Everywhere And Not A Stitch That Fits

I’m having trouble finding stuff to wear. Despite losing over twenty pounds and having a ton of clothes in my closet, I’ve been noticing that putting an outfit together is starting to become a pain in the ass. The reason why is because as I’ve written before, I hate to buy clothes as it seems that I’m always trying to lose weight and don’t want to waste the money on things that I won’t be able to wear in a month. Therefore, even though I have a lot of clothes, they’re pretty much grouped in sizes representative of landmarks in my weight loss efforts. I’m ok on jeans, I have a pair in pretty much every size imaginable and that’s because I live in jeans and they’re the one item that I’m willing to go out and buy. In other types of clothing I’m not so lucky. Does that make sense? Here, let me explain the problem: When I need a casual jeans and t-shirt type outfit for wearing to the grocery store or to school: The jeans that I’m wearing are still pretty snug but they’re the only ones that fit right now. The t-shirts that I have are either in extra large from my heaviest days or in a size small from when I had originally reached my 120 pound goal which was celebrated with a shopping spree. There’s no in-between. I either look like I’m wearing a maternity shirt or a child’s tee that highlights every fat ripple and roll being pushed up by my tight jeans. Neither are a flattering look. When I need a dressed up professional look for practicum: The dress pants, trousers and tops I own were all purchased when I began working at an evil company that had a business wear dress code. I have since left said evil company so my dress wear is limited to that initial purchase in which I happened to weigh 168 at the time. If I had to guess, I probably weigh somewhere near 155 right now. As you can see, that means that all my dress clothing is just swimming on me. I also have a very extreme hourglass figure which means that my pants are totally sagging away from my shrinking waist but because my hips and thighs are rather large still, the fabric gathers and rests on the widest part of my lower body. Now I’m pretty sure that sagging is not appropriate in the business world but that’s the look that I’ve been rocking lately. Not a flattering look. I think that these big baggy clothes not only make me look heavier than I am but they also make me feel frumpy. Also, let’s all admit that sometimes when all your clothing is too tight, you suddenly get really motivated to lose weight. At least this type of motivation works for me and I find that wearing these baggy clothes doesn’t give me that same do or die attitude that they were giving me a few months ago when they were too tight. I tried pairing the dress pants with some of the cute little tops that I had bought from my skinny days hoping that this would make me look less all-around heavy but that really didn’t work. Instead I just look unbalanced; yes my waist looks smaller but my boobs and arms are too tight in the shirt and then my bottom half looks so much bigger and out of proportion with the top half of my body. You can't really wear a small top with a large bottom, it just looks weird. Again, not a flattering look. I don’t know how to fix this problem (without going out and buying more clothes) and I’m not quite sure how it’s going to play out as I lose even more weight. My best solution right now is to wear everything as long as I can and then at some point break down and have everything tailored. Not only will that be cheaper than buying a whole new wardrobe but another benefit of having things tailored is that there will be no going back at that point. There will be no fat pants to gradually move back up to wearing if I slip and let myself gain weight. I figure the fear of having nothing to wear and having to go naked if I get fat again is enough to keep me from gaining the weight back!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen C. said...

Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one having this problem lately! I have bags of clothes to be donated to the Goodwill and everything I own is either huge in the waist and still fitting in the hips (I also have an extreme hour glass figure) or is still too darned small. So frustrating, isn't it?! Just discovered your blog, btw and love it! :-)

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home