From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't

Mondays kick my ass. I work all day and then go directly to school from 4pm until 9:45pm and don't get home until almost 10:30 at night. I usually try to eat something at 3:00 before I leave work for school and then I usually get some caffeine (in the form of diet cherry coke) at around 8:00 so as to avoid a school-induced coma. I don't eat during class and usually end up starving by the time I get home. Yes, I know you're asking, "Why not just eat something during class?" Well, I'll tell you why. I'm a big ol' freak about eating in front of people. I just rarely ever do it in general and I especially never, ever do it at school. At work it's ok, I'll sit and munch on some almonds or a cup of yogurt at my own desk in my own private corner but I just can't do it in class. Yes, I know that's crazy talk but here's why. My grad school program is a very action-oriented, participation-required program. Most classes are set up with us sitting our chairs in a circle or if we are at desks, they're arranged in a square format to make it very easy to see and talk to one another. Which I guess is great for the spirit of the program but also makes me feel very self-conscious when I'm sitting there. I always like to keep my notebook on my lap so I can "hide" behind it and I often wonder if the people sitting across from me are staring at how my thighs totally spill over the sides of the chair. These are the kinds of thoughts that just race through my mind! When I’m being that body conscious, I can’t even imagine eating. To make matters worse, there’s a café on campus that is about ten feet away from the door to our classroom. It’s not just any run of the mill café, either! They have a Burger King, Pizza Hut and Sandwich shop in addition to all the cookies, candies and other junk they sell. A good majority of my classmates usually buy their dinner from the shop and they end up eating it during class. In fact, due to us being in those classes from 4 until almost 10, everybody is either snacking or having full on meals during the beginning of our 8:00 class. Except me. No, not me. I can’t imagine eating in front of everybody. I always get these really crazy fatgirl thoughts. I think that if I were to eat crap food, then everybody would be secretly thinking, “No wonder she’s so fat! Look how she eats!” and if I were to eat healthy, nutritious food, then everybody would be secretly thinking, “Hmm, why is she so fat if she eats that healthy? She’s probably on a diet (which she needs!) and yet she’s still as fat as the first day of school! I guess it’s not working for her or even more likely, I bet she cheats when no one’s looking!” I realize that this is all in my imagination, nobody really cares what I’m eating but even just drinking my diet cherry coke can sometimes evoke the “Do you drink diet because you’re on a diet?” question which leads to my paranoid mind believing that people are thinking all sorts of things about me. On top of this, I am always afraid of the whole chance of getting food stuck in my teeth/crumbs on my mouth/yucky breath/spilling food in front of everyone, etc… So I just avoid that whole situation and even though I know no one even remotely gives a rat’s ass about my eating habits, I end up starving. What is it about being fat/dieting that makes you a narcissist? It's almost like you focus so much on yourself: your food, your body, your triggers, your emotions, that you become paranoid with the belief that others must be thinking about these things too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wendell said...

People are probably thinking those things - but about themselves! At least I would be if I were sitting in the circle/square. I can't imagine what it must be like to not feel self-conscious in situations like that. I have found that there are certain kinds of food I can eat in *some* situations (bite sized, discreet and non-stinky), but also have had those occasion where, like you, I'd just rather not eat. Here's a trick I've done before: I'd mix Slim Fast or similar liquid 'meal replacement' and drink from a large coffee cup/thermos thing. That way, nobody knows nuthin'. (This is the only circumstance under which I'd drink Slim fast, by the way.)

12:15 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Oooh, that's a good idea jennifer! I never would have thought about that! I have no qualms with drinking things, it's just the eating things that bothers me. I have class tonight, I think I'll stop by the store on my way there. It'll be my little secret food in a coffee thermos. Now so long as I don't accidentally spill anything down the front of my boobs, I should be ok!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

The meal replacement shakes on-the-go are also what I do in those sorts of situations. Also, it freaks restaurant managers out less if I'm drinking something than if I'm eating something.

I go for a protein version - brand: AdvantEdge. Similar to the Atkins or such but I get it at Walmart for a fraction of the price... Tastes better than SlimFast by a long shot (although I've done SlimFast for breakfasts before. I bought the pre-mixed-and-canned 'cuz of having been in a time crunch and wanting something more nutritious than Pop-Tarts. Strawberry SF isn't bad...)

Either way, I suggest getting the vanilla flavor because there are more add-in options than with others - I just add a little cocoa powder if I want chocolate. Or a few berries or half a banana for something fruity and a little more filling (cocoa powder and fruit is really good...) I've even used coffee in place of milk (besides the flavor change, coffee has no calories, which lowers the intake on the shake), and have frozen coffee into cubes and blended those in. Juice works well, too, but can have more calories than milk, so it may not be worth the switch unless you can "afford" the extra. Same goes for peanut butter, which is my favorite thing to add, but a couple of tablespoons have a surprising amount of calories.

Finally, a word to the wise: If you do a blenderized frozen shake and it sits in your cup/thermos for a while before you get to it, be sure to shake it up before trying to drink it because even if it's melted substantially, there may still be a layer of icy-goodness floating on top that will slow things down until you tip the cup/thermos just right and it spills down your chest in all of its glory... Just sayin'...

1:14 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

I like all those options of mixing different things in, bethany. I think it would make it more filling and satisfying, plus you can have different flavors depending on what you're in the mood for.
Oh and as for the spilling down the chest thing? I am notorious for that, so thanks for the tip!

1:18 PM  
Blogger tash said...

I so know what you mean about the eating in public thing!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! I cannot, CANNOT stand eating in front of people. I even wait until the lunchroom at work is empty before I go in to lunch. I find myself throwing food down the hatch as if I am a fugitive. this is something I've been meaning to blog about cos I thought I needed help. Again, glad to se that I am not insane, I really should consult with you more often.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

I understand what you mean. When ever I have been to any kind of party, event, museum opening, etc., that had a buffet or some kind of food spread, I always feel that because I am overweight that everyone is looking at the fat guy to see if he stacks his plate high with food.

I guess these ideas are part of being self-conscious. Maybe you should pack a healthy snack? Good luck resolving this issue!

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home