From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ok, So I Should Actually Have A Plan, Right?

So last week I was talking about how I’ve developed the habit of being “good” on weekdays and then just totally pigging out on weekends and I want to stop doing that. The problem is, how? I need to not think of the weekends as a crazy free for all. But I also need to give myself some room to be human. I think I’m so rigid in my thinking that there needs to be room in my plan for doing what other people do and being able to go out to dinner with friends or family without feeling like it’s the end of the world and an excuse to eat like there’s no tomorrow. Take for instance this weekend. Tomorrow night I’m going to dinner with my friends and then on Saturday the husband wants to go to lunch at a certain restaurant known for its ridiculously oversized portions and whose approach seems to be that you haven’t lived until you’ve eaten a burger the size of your head. I should still be able to go to these places, right? You can live a normal life without becoming a hermit and shunning all social occasions while losing weight, right? Well unfortunately the first thing that my little brain jumps to is, “Fuck it. I’ll be eating like shit tomorrow and Saturday, why not just start now and begin anew on Monday?” As I am typing this right now, the guys are outside my office door eating pizzas that they had delivered along with a huge flat sheet cake. It’s not even anyone’s birthday; this is honest to goodness a typical Thursday lunch for them. And I’m just sitting here thinking, “What to do? What to do?” because I have not yet learned the art of moderation. I’m either super in control or completely without it when it comes to food. So I need to change my mindset and I need a plan to live like a “normal” person but still accomplish the goals I have. And honestly, right now I’m at a loss as to how to go about doing this.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I have the same problem you do (ie, just thinking "oh well, too late now" and using it as an excuse to pig out). My advice about going out to dinner is to let yourself have whatever you want, but decide on an appropriate portion before you start eating. That way you won't eat all of it just because it's there. You can bring the rest home so that you don't waste it. (If you want a restaurant calorie guide, this page is great, but for your own sanity I suggest not getting too hung up on it as long as you don't eat out often: http://www.dottisweightlosszone.com/restaurants.html ).

Also note that "appropriate" doesn't have to be super-low-cal. Let yourself have a real meal.

As far as friends with pizza and sheet cake - man, that type of situation is the bane of my dieting existence. I found your page while trying to look up the calories in the cake I just ate for my friend's birthday. I recommend having a piece of what people are having if you really want some, but drink water first and think about how much you REALLY want it or whether something else (or just the water) will be just as satisfying. I also have a hard time when my friends have goldfish or other snacky things because I just keep eating them - scooping out a portion rather than taking them one by one / handful by handful helps with staying practical about how much I'm eating.

Good luck!

7:59 PM  
Blogger K-Fab said...

Hey there ! I'm a new reader, wandered over here from the links on Dietgirl. I empathize with your situation, and I'm sure you have tried just about every "technique" there is. The suggestion in the comment above is great - if you can do it. I know from MY experience that *I* can't. Doesn't mean it won't work for you .... but we all have to find what works. For me, it's the "cheat meal." You know, you can accomplish your goals without being 100% perfect. You've heard of the "cheat meal" I'm sure ... so let yourself have one. But earn it !! Be good all week, stick to your plan, and stop using a minor slip up as an excuse to bag the entire day ... be good be good be good, just MAKE yourself do it ... and then on the weekend, give youself A cheat meal. Or maybe one each day, if that calms you down. I find it really helps me to be even better on my "on" days when I know I have this prize dangling before me at the end of the week. Just my two cents' worth. DOn't give up !! Just keep plugging along and finding what works for you. You will succeed !!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home