From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Friday, September 22, 2006

My Five Things

Hey! Sorry I’ve been MIA this week. I was being held hostage by work/ school/ practicum/ life and I’ve finally just escaped. The lovely and talented Patl tagged me with a "5 things to eat before you die" meme. So many great things to list and only five spots available but I think I can do it. 1. French fries. I love french fries and they’re probably what I’d call my favorite food. I prefer soggy as opposed to the crispier versions. Sometimes if my husband or I pull out a particularly oily and soggy one we’ll show it to the other person all, “Oooh, look. That’s a good one!” And sometimes if it’s a really good one then my husband will give it to me. It’s the little things that keep a marriage strong, you know. 2. Hot Fudge Sundaes. This is my absolute favorite dessert. I love them with hot fudge, tons of warm caramel, whipped cream, light on the nuts, and about ten maraschino cherries. I actually think that making them at home is the best way because then they can be customized to each person’s preference. 3. Reese’s peanut butter cups. Miniatures, King size, or out of a bag on Halloween, they can’t be beat. I love how they come in shapes for the holidays. My mom and I agree that for some reason the Easter egg shaped ones are by far the best way to enjoy Reese’s. We also agree that we’re crazy that we’ve had the discussion of which way tastes the best and that we actually agree on that same shape. I’m sure that they probably all taste the same and the imagined difference probably has psychological roots similar to my “eat all the red and blue M&M’s first” habit. You only think there’s a difference. 4. House Chicken from Pick Up Sticks. I just love the stuff but a cup of it is like 1000 cals or so per serving. It’s been awhile since I’ve had it but I love it served over beef fried rice. Yum! 5. Garlic & butter mashed potatoes. Again, another food from my friend the potato. I am totally a mashed potato conoiseur and I can be very picky about my mashies. Heavy on the cream and butter and whipped as light and fluffy as possible. There should be no lumps! Unless of course it’s mashed potatoes that include little red potatoes and their skins then they’re allowed to have a more rustic texture. I also am a big fan of gravy with my mashed potatoes but again I’m extremely picky about the gravy. A nice thick brown beef gravy is my ultimate favorite. It has to be as savory as possible and it can’t be too thin or watery. If worrying about calories and nutrition were no longer necessary and I could eat anything I want then these would probably be my staples. I know! I too realize that it’s nothing but a list of craptastic junk food. Not one redeemable food on that list. But you know, this is a sort of “what I would eat if I were to splurge” list but there was a time where I ate off this list on a very regular basis. It’s nice that these foods have finally found the place they’re supposed to inhabit in my personal food pyramid.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Like Mae West said, "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!" I love your list :o)

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

8:43 AM  
Blogger Future Me said...

Love it! You seem to be more of a salty girl than a sweet girl, but I'm glad to see you included the hot fudge sundae. Well done!

9:36 AM  
Blogger PatL said...

What I love about this list is how completely unpretentious it is. And your strong marriage thing. And also how you called me talented, and lovely. :o)

11:01 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I love peanut butter cups too! in ANY form whatsoever. Minature, easter ones, the big cups. etc. YUM!

Wish I had one now!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Xena said...

OMG! I *totally* agree that the easter egg-shaped reese's are the BEST!!! Of course, then they came out with the big cup. It's all over for me now.

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home