From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Stuck!

Sorry I’ve been absent all week, I have been so tired and busy lately that everything finally caught up with me. I started this month out vowing to kick July’s ass. Little did I know that it was my ass that was going to receive the kicking. This time I made it three weeks with exercising everyday before I fell on my figurative face. I pretty much crashed and burned Thursday night. I went to bed early and as I had Friday off, ended up sleeping most of Friday away. Then I never really got going for the rest of the weekend. I’m just so tired; I’ve kept up a crazy pace for the past few months and it finally caught up with me. I did absolutely nothing over Saturday and Sunday. I slept until the late afternoon and after dragging myself on to the couch in front of the tv, I only got up to dig around in the kitchen for something to eat. I stayed on target calorie-wise but I still feel bloated and yucky just because I lazed around so much. So weigh-in is in three days and I know that I’m going to fall short of my 5-pound challenge. I actually would be surprised if I lost anything this month. My body feels pretty much the same and I kind of feel like I’m hitting a plateau right now. I refuse to lower my calorie intake anymore than it is, I can’t function on less food than I’m taking in right now. I know from past experience that if I go too low I end up feeling run down and then I fall off the diet wagon because I can’t keep to such a rigid plan. The other alternative would be to bump up my exercise but as this weekend proved, I don’t have that much more to give energy wise. I feel a little stuck right now. I’ve lost over thirty pounds and I have less than twenty to go to get to goal. I keep thinking that maybe I need a break but then I think about how close I am and I don’t want to stop now. I keep telling myself that in a few months I could be at goal; I don’t want a moment’s delay. But I realize that right now requires more effort just when I feel like there’s not enough fight in me.

5 Comments:

Blogger PatL said...

Good for you for giving your body the rest it needed. I've learned to do that without guilt, and it's such a healthy thing to do!

Rather than lowering calories, you might consider temporarily radically changing the way you get your calories. If you're normally dairy and veggies, try lots of protein and fat rich foods like cheese and meat (keeping calories in view, of course) If you've been avoiding fruits, eat them. I find sometimes it's just changing the food profile that jumpstarts the weight loss.

And here's hoping you're wrong and you've lost your five pounds! All that discipline surely won't go unrewarded!

8:39 AM  
Blogger FatMom said...

Hi, Lynne! Everyone needs a break from time to time...just don't let it go on for too long. I agree that lowering your calories wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe mix up your exercise a bit? Shock your body with a new exercise?
And, you never know...the scale could tell you something ver wonderful, although your committment to exercise and nutrition this last month should be enough to make you feel very good about how you did, despite what the scale may or may not show. Best Wishes!!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Red said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Red said...

I was stuck, just like you -- 30 lbs lost and 20 to go to reach goal -- for the past couple of weeks. I didn't want to lower calories either, so I did both of the things that patl and fatmom recommended: I upped the percentage of protein in my diet while keeping calories the same and mixed up my exercise. It seems like I have finally broken my plateau.

Hang in there and don't worry about taking a few days off from the gym. Sometimes we need mental health days. The important thing is that you're still focused on your long-term goals. :-)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Hey Lynne, the others have said everything that I would have suggested so I will just add that it doesnt hurt to give yourself a rest sometime, and like you said if you go too strict, it is too easy to fall off the wagon all together. Mix it up a little with your eating, and try some relaxation type of exercise for a week or two.

Most importantly dont give up!!

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home