From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Feats Of Strength

I’ve been trying to add some weights and strength training into my exercise routine. I’m very comfortable with walking/jogging/Steely Dan workout routines but the world of muscle toning is relatively new to me. I think for so long I labored under the delusion that lifting any kind of weight would make me bulky. Nowadays though there’s so much information out there about how great weight training is for women to burn fat and shape their bodies. I think I’m getting near the point where I need to start thinking about smoothing and toning my muscles more. I think that not only will it make me healthier and stronger but also it will probably give me the body shape I’m looking for. So I’ve been using resistance bands (for some weird reason I totally get a kick out of them) and I’ve been trying to use a weighted rubber ball that my husband owns. I have no idea what the ball is called but again, for some weird reason, I get a kick out of using it which means that I’ll use it more than I would a regular dumbbell. The funny thing is, when I take the ball out to use, the pup totally freaks out. It’s like this gigantic blue ball that’s bigger than him and try as he might, he just can’t get it to budge. So when he sees me lifting it over my head he gets totally excited. Perhaps I flatter myself, but I think maybe he’s impressed by my strength?

1 Comments:

Blogger M@rla said...

I LOVE weight lifting and would absolutely recommend it to anyone. You get such quick results compared to other exercise - but don't worry, you won't bulk up! Women don't have the hormones for it; we'd have to do some really really extreme things to look like that; it definitely won't just happen accidentally while you're not looking.

There is a LOT of information out there, and it's hard to sort through. There's lifting for strength, for size, for "body building," for general fitness, etc., and most of it is directed toward men. There are a lot of attitudes/approaches, too, some of them way too macho for me. I do tend to agree with the idea that you should lift heavy - "heavy" being something that only you can define. Safety is always the first consideration, and if you're new to it, you don't have experience with what your body can do yet. It's just that a lot of women are too conservative about how heavy to lift, it's that "pink dumbbell" syndrome. I think when you're lifting too light, you're just setting yourself up for a repetitive-motion injury, without the benefit of having created some muscle!

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home