From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Forced Exercise

We spent this weekend putting our backyard in. The past two weeks of standing outside in dirt and rock and begging Sebastian to go potty got me to thinking that it would be nice to have some grass and flowers to look at while I’m out there. My husband did the pick axing and sprinkler laying but I didn’t shy away from getting in there and getting dirty to help move things along. I carried sod, bags of rocks, stone pavers and stone planter edgers. I was out there on my hands and knees digging holes and planting plants. I really gave it my all because I wanted to just be done with it. If you knew what a big sissy I am about getting dirty then you’d really be impressed by all this! So after a whole weekend of that, can I tell you how sore I am today? My arms, legs, and back are killing me! It even hurts to laugh or breathe because my stomach muscles are so sore. That was the best workout I have had in a long, long time! Right now Purl is kicking ass in Boot Camp where they do straight up hard core exercises like they’d make you do if you had enlisted, which got me to thinking, wouldn’t it be awesome if there were a Yard Work Camp too? Everyday you would show up at someone’s house and the goal would be to put in their yard, all with the motivation of some guy yelling at you like a drill sergeant. It would be really intense too, like we’d have to do lunges with bags of potting soil lifted above our heads or we would run wind sprints while pushing a wheel barrow full of rocks, or we’d have to dig sprinkler trenches while the Yard Sergeant yells, “You call that shoveling, Maggot?” in your face. The only break you would get would be a drink from the garden hose. If there really were such a thing as Yard Work Camp I would totally sign up, I had no idea that gardening had the potential to whip your ass in shape!

2 Comments:

Blogger runny_yolk said...

LOL - Yard work camp... now there's a good idea...

5:20 PM  
Blogger Wendell said...

What a fun way to get a great work out. I wish we had a yard to speak of - we share a tiny weed patch with the downstairs neighbors. Thought about an getting an allotment though...

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home