From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Not Magic, Just Hardwork

Hey! I can run two miles! Yep, two miles and that’s after the mile that I do on Steely Dan. I found out tonight that I've worked myself up to clocking that kind of distance! Who knew? Certainly not me! Today my husband asked if I wanted to go for a run. He’s started to run with me and it’s been really great to get out there together. I told him yes and then I noticed that I felt a little hesitant for like a second and a half as an afterthought. What is that?, I thought. Why do I feel hesitant? For lack of a better word, it almost resembled a little bit of fear. So what am I afraid of? I’m afraid that this whole running thing is a fluke. That right now I’m enjoying it but any day now I’m going to find I’ve lost my passion and dedication for these big workouts. It’s only been a week that I’ve started running outdoors seriously; is the novelty about to wear off? Have you ever had the experience of starting an exercise regimen and you’re going along fine for awhile and then you find that you start to have off days and bad days where you can’t even finish your normal workout? You start to make good excuses and obvious excuses for why you can't exercise. So you think that maybe you need to change it up but then you realize that it’s your motivation that’s gone? This has happened to me so often in the past. I’ll get into a routine for weeks, months even, and then for whatever reason unknown to me, I’ll lose my momentum. I think this is what I’m afraid of. I’m scared that one of these days I’m going to get dressed, tie my shoes up, and walk out of my front door and instead of feeling the “I can do this!” attitude that accompanies me now, it will be replaced with a “I don’t want to do this” feeling. It’s so funny how I always seem to be waiting for something to go wrong along this weight loss journey. It’s almost like things are going along so good that I get scared that it’s going to end all of a sudden. Maybe because I’ve had so many experiences where I did good and started to lose weight only to get sidetracked and gain everything back. It’s happened so many times that it affects how I feel about weight loss in general. I think that I just have to stop and look back up at the first paragraph of this post. Two miles is real, guys! That’s something that I’ve actually done and it’s not just going to magically disappear over night. At least not unless I let it happen.

3 Comments:

Blogger Xena said...

I know what you mean - I'm often waiting for the other shoe to drop. Why is that?! Maybe if we can figure it out, we'll be millionaires!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Jen C. said...

What you've accomplished is fabulous, Lynne! Do not doubt yourself or your resolve for a moment. I had begun a running program myself after accidentally running 3 miles one day! I felt on top of the world. Unfortunately, the lack of cartilage in my knees has caused some pretty serious pain and I've decided to stick to my Precor FX and treadmill walking. So consider yourself lucky...that your body and mind are in synch to allow you this new found joy is amazing and I applaud you for it! :-)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Wendell said...

yeeeaaaaayyy! 2 miles is fantastic for sure!

"Have you ever had the experience of starting an exercise regimen and you’re going along fine for awhile and then you find that you start to have off days and bad days where you can’t even finish your normal workout?"

YES! But those feelings pass too. Day by day. You're doing GREAT!!

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home