From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Working Hard, Hardly Working

So I found a new job! That is such a huge relief; I was starting to panic a little there! I’m especially glad because it doesn’t start until the third week of June, which gives me a few weeks off with nothing to do but go to summer school. I plan to make the most of this time. I’m extending my 3-Week Workout Everyday Challenge to a 5-Week Challenge. I’m hoping the month of June is going to be a big weight loss month. Hopefully when I post my weigh-in on the 28th the numbers will be low 140’s! Very exciting! I am loving what this exercise does for me. I feel like I have more energy and that my body is finally showing some real noticeable changes. That being said, I’m noticing a problem with my right heel. Of course when I finally get my act together and start eating and exercising properly, something threatens to spoil it. I’m not even sure what’s wrong with my heel. I noticed when I was working out that it feels a little like pins and needles on the bottom of the heel, right below the arch. At first it was only when working out and it wasn’t that bad; more annoying than anything. This week however, it has gotten bad enough to be called painful and while it hasn’t stopped my routines, it actually hurt enough where I wanted to stop exercising. Then I noticed that it continued to hurt even a few hours later. Now I notice a dull ache in it almost all the time. Anybody have any ideas what’s going on? Could it just be overuse and I need to stretch the foot out or could it be something that requires rest? I hope it’s nothing serious, I couldn’t bear to give up my 5-Week Challenge! I’m just tickled with the idea and even more tickled by the fact that I’m excited to do it. Later on today I think I’ll go buy some gel inserts for my gym shoes. Maybe that will help cushion and support the heel and arch. Also, tomorrow is my birthday and I’ll be doing a special weigh-in. Check back tomorrow to see if I made it into the 140’s after all. I’m going to do a big workout routine tonight just to see if I can push it along, so here’s hoping!

4 Comments:

Blogger PatL said...

Pins & needles sounds like nerve problems. They may not be serious, but I wouldn't fool around with it. Get in to see your doctor, girl!

June 3rd is my Aunt Edna's birthday, too. She's 96 this year!

Is it time to offer pictures of your half-sveldte self?

10:56 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Sounds like plantar fascitis to me... I agree with patl, get thee to a doctor, pronto!

2:30 AM  
Blogger Future Me said...

I agree you might want to go see a doc. I know it feels so good to be kicking butt on your workout challenge, but maybe you just need one rest day. I've heard your body makes its true progress when you're resting.

If you don't want to take the day completely off, maybe you could do an easy recovery swim or something that wouldn't bother your foot too much. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jen C. said...

I'd advise taking a day or two off from the standard routine you've been doing. Elliptical machines, such as Steely, tend to cause some numbness in the feet (slight slow in blood circulation b/c you're putting so much pressure on the same part of the foot the whole time). Maybe go for a walk or ride a bike for a few days and then see how it feels. If it's still bothering you then, I'd probably think about seeing a doc. But it sounds to me like overuse of the elliptical. (Had the problem before, myself...)

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home