From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Know Your Eating Habits

The following was on my Yahoo page the other day when I logged on: YAHOO GENERAL HEALTH TIP: Broth-based soups are a great way to fill up with few calories. Research shows that when you start a meal with a broth-based soup, especially one swimming with vegetables, you'll likely consume about 100 fewer calories at that meal. No, I’ll just likely consume soup in addition to the meal I would have eaten anyway. I just don’t work in a way that would make that tip helpful. I wish I were but I tend to be the type of person who eats whatever is put in front of her until it’s all gone. I clean my plate, people! Add on top of that the fact that if I don’t make an effort to track what I eat, then I begin to graze throughout the day without realizing just how much I’m taking in. I’ll think that I ate sensible meals and am on track but I’ll conveniently forget that I ate Hershey Miniatures all day in between those meals. Then I’ll get frustrated and wonder why I’m not losing weight or worse, why I’m gaining. Things that aren’t pre-portioned out for me pose the biggest challenge. I can eat one packaged sugar free Popsicle and be fine but open candy dishes, jars of nuts, and cans of whipped cream are harder because it’s easier to fudge on the correct serving size. (Ummm, fudge!) Anyways… I’ve gone back to weighing, measuring and counting my food so that I can get back to eating correctly sized portions. Already I feel less bloated and not so lethargic. I’m sure a lot of that good feeling is just because it feels so nice to be back on track!

1 Comments:

Blogger Bethany said...

Portion control and not munching are the most difficult things for me when it comes to eating sensibly.

Especially munching because I never munch on vegetables or anything that's healthy for me, it's always a little bite of chocolate here, a little nosh of cookie there, a nibble of mashed potatoes, a chip, a spoonful of ice cream... What I call the "invisible" calories because I never think about them, they're just little bites of things. That end up unbudgingly on my hips and thighs.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home