From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A Bump In The Road

Well, last post I said that I would be getting back on that horse. Unfortunately I didn’t get on in a blaze of glory and gallop away down the trail of success. Instead, I half-heartedly heaved my big butt on to the poor, tired horse, slumped forward over the saddle and then proceeded to tumble right off at the first bump on the trail. My eating hasn’t been utterly despicable; it’s just that it hasn’t been regulated. I’ve pretty much been sticking to the foods that I normally eat except that I’ve been grazing all day and late into the evening; any food, no matter how healthy, cannot be good for you if eaten in large quantities. For instance, J-ello sugar free chocolate pudding cups are great snacks. They’re low in fat, carbs and are only 60 calories a serving. Except the whole health aspect goes out the window if you eat six in a row with half a can of whipped cream. The same is true of almonds. They’re believed to lower cholesterol and be heart friendly. Yet they’re not figure friendly if you shovel handful after handful into your mouth and then realize you’ve demolished half the can of them. Or another example is baby carrots. Crisp and healthy and naturally sweet but not great for you if you dip them in buttermilk ranch dressing and polish off half a bag. I have so much going on right now with playing catch up after that bad cold and the great Cheesecake Factory Incident of 2006. I’m trying to makeup work and time and am facing deadlines at my job, trying to do laundry and other housework, studying for midterms and writing two papers for school. All my energy is going to other things and so the eating and exercising are getting only slight attention at best. I’m not giving up however! I need to get things organized and settled down a bit and then I’ll be back in it. I just need to get through this week without eating like a mad woman and then I can saddle up!

3 Comments:

Blogger PatL said...

Hey, Lynne, hang in there. Busyness is the adversary of every single goldarn positive thing, in my not-so-humble opinion. Best to settle for not gaining weight during periods like this ... weight loss is best undertaken slowly, anyway ... although I know you have specific goals in mind. So anyway, like I said, hang in! We're all pulling for you out here!

12:06 AM  
Blogger tash said...

Lynne, in the long run this will just seem like a bump in the long road to success. It will all settle down and you'll be right there in the mix. However, something to put all your stresses in perspective, and something that I should use more often. Women seem to take care of everyone or thing else before they take care of themselves. Brushing your hair and cleaning your teeth are non-negotiable and essential to your health and wellbeing, why not consider exercise and good eating as a non-negotiable fact of your existence?
Not trying to be preachy or anything, it's just something I need to do for myself, and I know how stressful life is for a student, employee and spouse (or partner) such as yourself. Just take it one day at a time, I know you can do it :)

4:27 AM  
Blogger runny_yolk said...

Hey Lynne, it doesn't seem like you're doing THAT bad. Just need to scale it back a little. I am a big believer in taking a diet break once in a while - we all get tired of counting our food...

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home