From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Weigh To Go! …Kinda, Maybe, Sorta, I Don’t Know. Part 3

So I woke up this morning and miraculously I feel better than I have felt for the past few weeks. I went to work and was going to leave for my doctor’s appointment anyways but decided to cancel because I really wasn’t feeling too bad anymore. No sore throat this morning, no hacking cough. It’s like my body found out that I had threatened to take it to the doctor’s and decided to kick out any lingering sick germies overnight while I was sleeping. I really didn’t want to take time off from work for the doctor to tell me that I was at the tail end of a cold and that it should clear up soon. So in the end, no evil doctor’s scale for me! There was my evil little bathroom scale this morning however. It said that I’m at 160.2 pounds (72.82 kilos) down from 161.7 pounds (73.5 kilos). That means it took me a whole friggin’ month to lose 1.5 pounds (.68 kilos)! I’m glad for any loss but I really had hoped to see the 150’s at this point and I think that my goal to lose 15 pounds before April 30th might just be undoable at this point. The sad thing is I was probably in the 150’s for the majority of this month and on schedule for reaching this mini-goal until I started eating like a maniac the past few weeks. Oh, and here’s the weird thing! I’m into my size 10 jeans as the 11’s were getting too big. The 10 jeans are very tight but the fabric does have a lot of give, so who knows, maybe my ass and stomach have stretched them out to size 11’s! I would like to say that this phenomenon can be explained by exercise and that I have built muscle and lost fat and that the numbers just don’t show this glorious conversion but I can’t lie to myself. I have done less exercise this month than any of the other months so far. Maybe it’s the opposite effect; maybe my muscles have atrophied from lying on the couch for 20 of the 24 hours out of the day, everyday, for the past few weeks. Who knows what’s going on… Anyways, here I am at 160 still. I have gotten to this weight before and then gained back. This seems to be that weight where I need to really start pushing myself to keep losing but I often end up losing momentum and then start going back up. Do you guys have a weight where it seems that it’s as low as you can reach and then to move past that number takes Herculean efforts? Mine has proven in the past and still seems to be 160. The thing is I can’t say that my body wants to naturally stay around 160 or even try to call 160 a plateau. I know that my body needs to weigh a lot less than 160. I know that it isn’t a plateau where I’m on track, doing everything right, and just not seeing results that should be there. It’s more that I’ve slipped in being disciplined, I’m making less effort and I just don’t have that extra push in me. I think I start to fizzle out from pushing to get this far right when I reach a point that requires a doubling of effort. Don’t worry I’m not giving up; I’m just trying to figure out this pattern so that I don’t get emotionally discouraged. Right now is about that time where I start thinking, “I can’t do this!” So I’m going to start telling myself, “Yes, you can!” This may be concerning matters of the body but it’s going to take the power of the mind to get past this and succeed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendell said...

You never know - you could have one of those weeks next week where 4 pounds are suddenly gone. I read yesterday that weight normally fluctuates between 1 - 3 pounds in a single day. So many variables. Don't worry - I'm sure your efforts will pay off!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home