From Lynne to Lean

This is my journey from Lynne to lean. My new year's resolution is the same I've had most of my adult life: To lose weight. I also resolved to start doing things that I would normally be afraid of doing. This weblog is where these two resolutions converge.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot

Here in the desert it sometimes seems like we don’t really have defined seasons. One day it will be cold enough outside that I get a chill even through my wool sweater. Then within a few days the sun is shining, the breeze is dry and hot instead of refreshing and it’s cooking outside. On Monday earlier this week I was wearing my sweater and hurrying towards my car after school because I was cold. Today, only a week later, my husband and I thought we would take our walk/jog around 3:00pm and ended up getting knocked out by the heat. We walk/jog (walog?) through a park attached to our neighborhood that is one of the new “natural landscape” parks that our city has taken to building to conserve water. Basically, it’s rock and desert landscaping with small little oasis-like patches of grass and trees scattered here and there. It was only 80 degrees (26 C) outside but when you’re on a sand and gravel trail and moving around a lot, it feels like somewhere in the 90’s (30’s C). We set off from the house and I, foolishly dressed in heat absorbing black workout pants and navy blue shirt, casually commented, “Hey! It’s kind of warm outside today!” About thirty minutes into our walog we were sweating and gasping from the heat. At this point I whined, “Why the hell is it so hot?! When the hell did this happen?” I also dropped some other expletives because as usual, high temperatures turn me into a bitch with a mouth like a sailor. But we completed our intended route and I’m very proud of us because we really stuck it out like troopers. Well, like troopers who bitch and complain and swear the entire time. It took us an hour and a half to do our walog and we were so glad to get back home and indoors! I then had a nice cold shower and about 6 bottles of water in a row. You know you’ve overheated yourself when you continue to sweat even twenty minutes after a cold shower. So I guess that was the last daytime walog until fall gets here. Next weekend we’ll do our routine after the sun starts to set. Oh and I totally had to think about you guys too! Some of you have been writing about the fact that you’re enjoying that the snow is finally gone. Snow was a nice cool thought that helped me as I was trying not to die from heat stroke!

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendell said...

ONLY 80 degrees?!?! That's scorching as far as I'm concerned! You're tough! I've been worried about what happens when I need to walog on one of the three days out of the year it tops 70 here! I have no tolerance of heat. It must be nice to always have sunshine though! Anyway - good on you guys for toughing it out!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Zara said...

Glad that thinking of the snow actually helped someone! Heh. I was so excited today that it is supposed to hit 70 degrees. Although, I have to admit I melt like the wicked witch of the west if the thermometer swings even a smidge past 80.

Thanks for your birthday wishes on my blog!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home